Using element data from previous submitted form.
Apologies in advance - I know what I want to happen but my explanation here my not be totally accurate or understandable.
I have a form with 8 Elements
- Business (Pick-List)
- Site (Pick-List)
- Date (Date)
- Responsible Persons accompanying the inspection (Text Area)
- Site Location, Project or Theme (Text)
- PGI Category (Pick-List)
- PGI Report (Text Area)
- Supporting Image (Image)
A user may need to complete 5 to 10 of these one after the other on a Planned General Inspection and iI was wondering is there anyway the app can have Elements 1, 2, 3 & 4 use the previous submissions data and pre populate the element again to save the user inserting/selecting repetitive data as these elements will always be the same for the duration of there inspection?
Thank you in advance
Thank you for posting, it is a great question. I have a few different ideas for you and I'm sure others can also contribute too. I've included the links to our help desk articles in the titles and would be happy to answer any follow-up questions.
1) REFERENCE ID 1: Will it be the same user on the same device? We have a Form Reference ID, Reference ID 1,
which allows you to configure a form to be "New from last record". This can be helpful if it is the same user using the same device. It does require that after records are completed, that they stay on the device after being uploaded.
2) COPY: Another option is to use the "copy" feature for the record. The same way you can delete individual records by taking your finger holding and sliding to the left on a record, a copy button appears.
3) SMART TABLE SEARCH or LOOK UP ELEMENT: If you were open to changing the form design a little bit, you could make use of Smart Table Search or the Look-Up Element. You could ask the question with a select element, "Is this the first time at this site?" If they say yes, they would see a form that contains the above questions. If they said no, Smart Table Search or Look-up element would appear and they would select the site name from a list, which would pre-populate with the captured details.
Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply, I went with the REFERENCE ID 1: PAGETYPE_NEWFROMLASTRECORD. Its perfect, I also married it with REFERENCE ID 4: RECORD_NO_DELETE_ON_UPLOAD to ensure the previous record is saved on the users device which negates having to use the app settings to keep every form record on the device.
Is it possible to control this at an element level too, I only need it to re-use the data from the first 4 elements. It's not a major issue as they can overwrite elements 5 to 8, but it would be nice if they were already blank.
I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you! There is a way to do that with the use of Smart Controls. I've included a screenshot below as well as a form package for you to test. Copy this link and follow the steps in our Customer Success Article on how to import Form Package URL's.
I added the toggle element in the form and when the user taps the element, it clears values 5-8. You could also do something similar at the start of the form if you wanted to clear all fields. I hope this helps!
All the best,
All done and it works absolutely perfectly - I cannot thank you enough.
I've never used the toggle function for anything before, and i can already see its benefits for a couple of forms we have in place already that will make using them easier!
Thank you for your time, its much appreciated.
Please sign in to leave a comment.